What Types of Funeral Flowers are Popular in the Philippines?
Funeral ceremonies in the Philippines hold great cultural significance and are typically marked by the presence of various symbolic elements, including funeral flowers. These flowers not only serve as a way to pay respects to the deceased but also convey messages of sympathy, love, and support to grieving family members. In this article, we will explore the types of funeral flowers that are popular in the Philippines, their meanings, and the significance they hold in honoring the departed.
Traditional Funeral Flowers:
The Philippines has a rich tradition of using specific Funeral flower Philippines. These flowers carry deep cultural and religious symbolism. Some of the traditional funeral flowers commonly used in the Philippines include:
- White Roses: White roses symbolize purity, innocence, and reverence. They are often used to convey respect and serve as a tribute to the departed soul. White roses are frequently chosen for funeral wreaths and casket sprays.
- Lilies: Lilies are another popular choice for funeral arrangements in the Philippines. They represent the restoration of innocence and the purity of the departed soul. Stargazer lilies, with their vibrant pink or white petals and captivating fragrance, are commonly used in funeral flower arrangements.
Symbolic Funeral Flowers:
Apart from the traditional choices, certain flowers are chosen for their symbolic meanings, offering solace and comfort to grieving families. These flowers help express emotions and convey messages of sympathy. Some symbolic funeral flowers commonly seen in the Philippines are:
- Chrysanthemums: Chrysanthemums symbolize death and are often associated with funerals and memorial services. In the Philippines, they are commonly used in funeral wreaths and floral arrangements, representing grief, honor, and remembrance.
- Orchids: Orchids are regarded as elegant and exotic flowers, symbolizing love, beauty, and strength. They are chosen to pay tribute to the deceased and provide comfort to the bereaved family. Orchids are often included in funeral sprays and standing arrangements.
Regional Funeral Flowers:
The Philippines is a diverse country with various regions that have their own unique funeral customs and flower preferences. Some regions have specific flowers that hold cultural significance in funeral traditions. A few notable examples include:
- Sampaguita: Sampaguita, also known as the Philippine jasmine, is the national flower of the Philippines. It holds a special place in Filipino culture and is often used in funeral rituals. The delicate white blossoms symbolize purity, simplicity, and spiritual strength.
- Everlasting Flowers: In some regions, everlasting flowers, such as immortelles and strawflowers, are popular choices for funeral arrangements. These flowers are dried and preserved, symbolizing the eternal memory of the departed and the undying love of family and friends.
Contemporary Funeral Flower Arrangements:
With changing times, contemporary funeral flower arrangements have gained popularity in the Philippines. These arrangements often incorporate a mix of traditional and modern flowers, reflecting the personal preferences and tastes of the bereaved families. Some contemporary funeral flower arrangements include:
- Mixed Floral Tributes: Mixed floral tributes combine different types of flowers, such as roses, lilies, and carnations, to create visually appealing arrangements. These arrangements often convey a message of comfort and support during difficult times.
- Customized Funeral Wreaths: Funeral wreaths are a common sight in Filipino funerals. Modern interpretations of funeral wreaths often incorporate personalized elements, such as photographs, letters, or favorite objects of the departed, creating a unique and meaningful tribute.
Online Ordering and Delivery of Funeral Flowers:
In recent years, online platforms have emerged that provide convenient options for ordering and delivering funeral flowers in thePhilippines. These platforms offer a wide variety of funeral flower arrangements and allow customers to select their preferred types of flowers, colors, and sizes. Online ordering and delivery services have made it easier for individuals to express their condolences and send funeral flowers, especially in situations where physical presence may not be possible.
Funeral flowers hold significant importance in Filipino funeral traditions, serving as a means to pay respects, express sympathy, and provide comfort to grieving families. From traditional choices like white roses and lilies to symbolic flowers such as chrysanthemums and orchids, each flower carries its own meaning and contributes to the overall tribute to the departed. Additionally, regional flowers and contemporary arrangements offer diverse options for honoring the deceased. With the convenience of online ordering and delivery services, individuals can participate in funeral ceremonies even from a distance. By understanding the popular types of funeral flowers in the Philippines, we can appreciate the cultural significance and symbolism behind these floral tributes.
Ashmawi Sami has a Bachelor degree in Travel and Tourism Management from the University of Minnesota. He has his own travel vlogging channel. Besides being a fantastic yoga instructor he has travelled to 9 countries and planning his next trip soon. As the father of 3 dogs, he is well-trained in parenting, crowd control, and crisis situations.
Gillian is a freelance blogger, student, and full-time traveler. Each day she spends her time exploring something exciting to help people find the information they need while travelling to a new destination. Whether it be the place to enjoy holidays, or a spot to throw a party or hidden gems that you must visit in the city.